This unusual plant will help deter cats and other unwanted pests from entering and fouling your garden. Coleus Canina works by emitting an odour that cats in particular find incredibly offensive and therefore disappear back out of your gate or over the fence! It will be at its most effective when planted in a sunny spot, because the odour gets stronger the hotter the leaves become - fortunately the odour is barely obvious to humans! Coleus Canina is incredibly easy to grow and will thrive on a high degree of neglect because it is a naturally drought tolerant plant. It even has the added bonus of producing attractive blue flowers during the summer months and in to early autumn.
What Is Supplied
Item 400092 supplied as:
Supplied as 12 jumbo plugs (2.5 - 3.5cm diameter). The foliage works throughout the season, but the plants will be in flower during the summer months. Height 45cm (18). Not frost hardy so keep protected until the last frost.
Plant Care Information
Pinching out tips will give you bushier plants.
- For most jumbo plug plant collections, the “mini Greenhouse” they are packed in will have a label on the outside, listing the individual varieties inside. We recommend writing your own labels out on receipt!
- Give your plugs a little attention on arrival - unpack them immediately, and either mist them or stand them in water for an hour - they may be slightly dry or yellow after being in a dark box in the post, but they’ll quickly recover. If you can’t do this, they can sit in Mini Greenhouses for a week if upright and not too wet.
We recommend that you leave them to settle for a day somewhere warm, light and airy such as a windowsill or greenhouse.
- When you're ready to pot on, use a good quality, multi-purpose compost, and fill 3-4in pots (7-10cm).
- Make a hole in the compost with a dibber or your finger, then holding each plug by its root ball, place it into the hole and gently firm the compost around it.
- For great results, we recommend using our Windowsill Planters or 9cm pots in Shuttle Trays.
- Give your plants a good water initially, then only when the top compost starts to dry as they don’t like to be left in standing water.
- Grow on either on a bright windowsill or a greenhouse for 3-4 weeks before potting up into containers or into flower beds.
- If planting directly into flower beds when all risk of frost has passed, prepare the ground well, removing weeds and digging in some compost or well-rotted manure if your soil is not already rich.
- Plant approx. 20cm (8”) apart to allow them room to grow.
Fully Grown Plant Dimensions (approx)